Twenty years ago, I read The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck. With his first sentence, “Life is difficult,” Peck (psychologist and bestselling author) captured my interest. “Once we truly understand and accept it, then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters,” wrote Peck. I would refer to this book over and over in the next decades of living on and off with depression.read more
Rarely does the world get a glimpse of the process by which an asylum seeker can traverse international borders to wreck havoc on the lives of others. Sharon Thomas’ debut novel is a fictional account of some of the immigration issues faced by countries trying to protect their borders. Thomas’ literary depictions take the reader behind the scenes to examine the mindset of a terrorist, individuals who must face making choices that may carry grave consequences, and the lives that they affect.read more
Reading the news, it’s hard not to feel a growing sense of unease. The threat of terrorism, growing instability and conflict overseas, a shooting on Parliament Hill last October and uncertainty about the economy diminish our collective feelings of safety and security. To this we add the looming environmental threats of climate change, pollution, declining ocean health, oil spills and extreme weather.read more
- Second Ebola case found in Liberia after country declared 'Ebola-free'
- Why kids who play sports may perform better in class
- California makes vaccines mandatory for schoolchildren, no religious exemptions
- Dalhousie dentistry scandal a call to action, says student union
- Avril Lavigne says 'top doctors' let her down in Lyme disease battle
- Corpse tests positive for Ebola in Liberia as Canada ends military mission
- Dentist check-up bills of $901 leaves Alberta newcomer feeling 'ripped off'
“We all have a story we tell ourselves; change the story and you change your destiny.”
– Sharif Khan, author of THE HERO SOUL
Stories have the power to transform, inspire and motivate. But they also have the power to tear down and destroy. Story is the lens from which we perceive the world, governing our behavior and ultimately leading to a self-fulfilling – or story-fulfilling – prophecy.